Pages

29 January 2009

Being Thankful


There are so many experiences in life that help to bring things into perspective.  I was recently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini for my book club.  Now, I know that this is just a book.  I know that.  But regardless, this story is most likely based on many true stories.  True stories of such wickedness, such hate and filth, and hatred towards women and their perception and nothingness.  It truly sickened me.  What it also did was help me realize how truly lucky I am.

I am so fortunate; I have my voice, my freedom to say and choose how I will, to wear what I want and how I want and when I want.  To dance when I want to dance.  To sing when I want to sing.  To wake up when I want to wake up and do with my day however I choose and please is right for me.  I live in a country that does not impose, for the most part.  I live in a country that doesn't tell me that I must believe in a certain thing or in a certain way and how many times per day I must show that I believe.

There are definitely things in this country that I find wrong or confusing or just wrong.  But what I have to remember and what I believe everyone should remember is that we have a good life.  No matter how hard we have it, someone else is going through much worse than us.  The things that I read about which I know happen in real life are NOTHING compared to what I have been through.

I am so glad to have lived such a fulfilling and positive life.  I am glad to no longer have people in my life who are negative and choose to waste their time and energy on being and feeling in ways that are not productive.  I am glad that I have chosen the positive and realistic path.  I am so glad for who I am and who I have been.  

By the way, I HIGHLY recommend reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns."  It is a horrifying yet beautifully written story about another country, another world, and the women and men that suffer and make others suffer in that other country and world.

No comments: