Pages

25 February 2010

Friendship Divorce


You know, it never ceases to amaze me how when I am going through something in particular that different sources of wisdom seem to come my way to help guide me through my particular dilemma.

A couple of weeks ago it was an article in a banking newsletter about communication. This time, it’s via Gwyneth Paltrow’s offering called GOOP and it’s about, yup, you guessed it, Friendship Divorce.

World, you are amazing and thank you for such wonderful and sage advice! I thought I would share with everyone and hopefully you will be helped by this article as I was. I just finished reading it and it made me feel SO much better and helped me realize what steps I need to take and gave me some good, new perspectives surrounding friendship and what that means to others and to me. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rachel @ MWF Seeking BFF said...

I'm having the opposite problem -- not trying to divorce friends but trying to make them. It can be tricky business, trying to find someone who fits the BFF bill. I hope to never have to implement Gwyneth's advice (I DO have friends, its just that they live plane rides away) but that might be wishful thinking. In the meantime I am chronicling my BFF quest: http://mwfseekingbff.com/

Heidi said...

Hi Rachel, just checked out your blog and love it! I agree with you that it can be very difficult to find those that will get together at a moment's notice and we must treasure those friends - I know I do. It also seems that every so many years something like this happens where I feel I am just pushed to the limit with my patience and friendship and when there is no longer any worth in my reaching out, well...hence my post about friendship divorce. It is just frustrating to me when I keep giving and giving and am getting nothing in return, and I mean NOTHING. I guess my friendship really doesn't mean as much as this person's words and since we've already had the "actions speak louder than words" talk, I'm over it.

Looking forward to reading more about your quest. All my best to you! I have a dear friend that moved from here (Portland, OR) to Chicago and has lived there for many years now but she travels during the week and is really only in Chicago on the weekends but she is one of those awesome friends that I will always have...:)

Best! -Heidi.