Pages

15 June 2008

Covering the Silence


It's interesting how a movie will build emotion and keep building and then when you least expect it, it hits you.  I've always wanted to see the movie "The Hours."  I have heard great things about it and was especially interested in seeing Nicole Kidman with the prosthetic nose.  I don't know if it is because I knew there were some pretty great female actors in this film that drew me to it or if it was because it drew on Virginia Woolf who I have actually never read, if you can believe that.

I started watching it and was immediately grabbed by it; these amazing women, the music, the story.  It was so sad.  So introspective.  Each detail I found incredible and the entire time found myself waiting for the next word.  Hanging on for that next piece.  The next look and then, towards the end, when Clarissa's daughter, Julia, hugs Laura Brown, old and alone - I lost it.  All of the build up and here it is.  Overwhelming, sad and dead.

I recommend to anyone that enjoys a great story full of emotion and sadness to watch "The Hours."  Meryl Streep is amazing.  Everyone is amazing.  Moving.  Alive and yet so dead.  Emotionless figures that have given up, that fear giving up.  I didn't want it to end.  And yet it did.

No comments: